Our team counsels clients on products involving plant sciences, animal technologies, innovative crop protection and crop inputs, indoor and vertical farming, and precision agriculture/data management and analytics. Our team helps clients navigate and chart new regulatory pathways to ensure marketability. We develop strategies for protecting intellectual property and securing capital to support continued growth and innovation.
Our Ag Tech attorneys focus on food and agricultural technologies and approaches that are changing the way food is grown, harvested, protected, tested, distributed, and consumed in the United States and globally. We provide the regulatory, corporate, intellectual property, and litigation strategies that guide companies through the product lifecycle, including scientific research, early and later-stage financing, product development, manufacturing, global marketing and distribution, and strategic acquisition, joint venture, and exit.
We are nationally recognized advisors for agricultural biotechnology and gene editing. Our team counsels some of the leading agriculture trade associations with an interest in Ag Tech, including organizations focused on seeds, crop inputs, products of agricultural biotechnology, and new plant and animal breeding techniques. Our recent work with individual technology developers includes advising on the path to market for nitrogen-producing microbes, salmon that grow more quickly, apples that do not turn brown when sliced, hornless dairy cattle, and disease-resistant potatoes. We’re working closely with new industry coalitions focused on indoor agriculture, a new and innovative class of crop protection products, sustainable agriculture, and products aimed at increasing agricultural productivity by stimulating natural processes in the plant and in soil.
Our team takes a business-oriented approach to optimize your regulatory, intellectual property, and corporate strategies. It’s our job to help ensure that our clients’ innovative technologies, products, and production methods have the freedom to operate in a regulatory environment that is predictable, transparent, and risk-based.
We assist clients in navigating the pathway to secure and retain necessary regulatory approvals and clearances, avoiding post-market regulatory enforcement actions, and managing enforcement actions when they arise. We advise our clients with securing and making investments to support continued innovation and with developing IP strategies and portfolios to protect their investments. When necessary, we also serve as litigation counsel when challenges are brought to regulatory approvals, working in tandem with the relevant government agencies to defend these approvals on behalf of our clients.
How We Help
- Regulatory approval through FDA, USDA, and EPA
- Product safety and marketing, including labeling issues surrounding genetically engineered organisms and bioengineering
- Federal regulatory litigation, including defense of regulatory approvals for Ag Tech products
- Federal and state legislative advocacy
- Assist clients in addressing climate change and other critical issues
- Prepare and prosecute utility, plant, and design Ag Tech patent applications
- Challenge and defend Ag Tech patents in Patent Office and district court
- Advise on securing and protecting trade secrets, and defending against allegations of trade secret misappropriation
- Advise on corporate formation and structuring, acquisitions, joint ventures, product licensing, and other strategic transactions
- Assist companies and investors in structuring seed and growth equity, debt financings, and other alternative financing transactions
- Advise on protection of data use and compensation rights under federal and state law