Arent Fox Welcomes Former US Senator Doug Jones and Counsel Cissy Jackson in Washington, DC
Senator Jones, who served Alabama in the U.S. Senate from 2018 to 2021, and Cissy are joining the firm’s D.C. office as Counsel and will advise clients across a wide variety of public policy issues and legal matters. They expect to focus particularly on issues in the National Security, Health Care, and Financial Services industries.
“We are extraordinarily pleased to have Senator Jones and Cissy Jackson join Arent Fox. Along with our other former Members Sen. Byron Dorgan and Rep. Phil English, they offer a remarkable amount of leadership, knowledge, and experience in key policy areas around national security, health care, civil rights, and the banking and insurance sectors and will be key members of our white collar enforcement and False Claims Act teams. Their addition brings a tremendous amount of proven strategic, policy, and business expertise that will be a great resource for our clients across the nation and globally. In addition, we expect them to support the Arent Fox Center for Racial Equality and the firm’s commitment to civil rights legal work.”
– Cristina A. Carvalho, Firmwide Managing Partner
Senator Jones’ Experience
- While in the U.S. Senate, Senator Jones served on the Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs; Armed Services; Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions; and Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committees.
- After working in private practice, Senator Jones was nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1997 to serve as U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama. As U.S. Attorney, Senator Jones successfully prosecuted Thomas Edwin Blanton Jr. and Bobby Frank Cherry, two members of the Ku Klux Klan, for their roles in the 1963 16th Street Baptist Church bombing.
- Senator Jones left the U.S. Attorney’s office in 2001 and returned to private practice. In 2007, the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute gave Jones its 15th Anniversary Civil Rights Distinguished Service Award. In 2013, he formed the Birmingham firm Jones & Hawley, PC before winning his Senate election in 2017.
Cissy Jackson’s Experience
- Before joining Arent Fox, Cissy served as both Counsel and National Security Adviser to Senator Jones. As Counsel, she advised the Senator on immigration and border security, civil rights, firearms, criminal legal system reform, judicial nominees, impeachment, and the Mueller investigation.
- Cissy developed great depth on defense and foreign affairs policy while assisting the Senator on annual defense authorization and appropriations bills and other relevant legislation. In this capacity, Cissy worked with staff on both sides of the aisle, senior Pentagon leadership, and defense industry stakeholders.
- Before joining the Senator’s staff, Cissy was in the private practice of law, handling white collar, False Claims Act, grand jury investigations, and commercial property tax appeal matters. She has represented multinational corporations, small businesses, and individuals in high-stakes civil and criminal litigation.
- After graduating from law school, Cissy served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sam C. Pointer, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.