Arent Fox Expands West Coast Corporate Practice With New Partner in Los Angeles
Scott has particular experience advising clients in the health care, technology, manufacturing, service, and construction industries and has completed cross-border transactions across the globe, including in Japan, Mexico, Ireland, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Already this year, Arent Fox has welcomed nine Partners and two Counsel to the firm, including private equity, M&A, and VC Partner Stephen P. Hanson in New York and corporate and commercial finance Partner Jonathan P. Bagg in Washington, DC.
Scott routinely executes complex transaction structures, including stock sales, asset sales, statutory mergers, tender offers, and transactions structured as tax-free reorganizations, spinoffs, and contributions. He represents buyers and sellers of companies bought and sold through auctions and advises clients on alternative liquidity strategies, including sale, leveraged recapitalization, private placement, and employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) transactions. In addition, Scott counsels clients engaged in debt and equity financing involving funds, mezzanine lenders, and banks.
“Scott is one of the most highly regarded corporate advisors in Los Angeles. He has a great understanding of the critical aspects of M&A, and his experience strengthens our transactional support for clients in California and across the country.”
– Steven A. Cohen, Corporate & Securities Practice Leader
- Scott’s recent work includes representing an NYSE-listed aerospace and defense company in a bid to acquire an ESOP-owned aerospace and defense engineering firm with a sales price of $1.65 billion; advising a payroll processing company in a $200 million CAD cross-border Canadian acquisition; and representing the manager of a $70 billion portfolio in the $65 million sale to a publicly-traded strategic acquirer of a majority-owned company engaged in the auto parts business.
- Scott has structured, implemented, and executed many of the largest and most complex transactions involving ESOPs to create liquidity on a tax-advantaged basis; to facilitate management buyout of a subsidiary, division, or portfolio company; to engage in a roll-up transaction; or to permit private equity investment on a tax-advantaged basis.
- He has led some of the largest transactions undertaken involving the sale of ESOP-owned companies to equity sponsors and strategic buyers.
- Scott has been annually recognized by Legal 500 United States in the M&A/Corporate and Commercial — M&A — Middle-Market (Sub-$500M) category.