Lewis Goss II
Lewis represents banks, private equity funds, insurance companies, and other institutional investors in a wide variety of commercial transactions, including: real estate acquisition, bridge, and construction financing; mezzanine, note-on-note, preferred equity, and other subordinate finance structures; syndications and intercreditor agreements; and loan restructuring, distressed assets, and workouts. Lewis has experience with both single-asset and large portfolio transactions with domestic and international borrowers and collateral. Additionally, Lewis represents developers and investors in their acquisitions, dispositions, and development of commercial real estate and infrastructure projects.
Recent representations include:
- DC hotel and multi-family mixed-use development: Represented a midsized commercial bank on a $130 million mortgage loan and negotiated the intercreditor agreement with the mezzanine lender ($61 million) for the multi-family capital stack. Represented the bank as the leverage lender ($45 million) to the hotel mortgage loan lender ($56 million).
- Represented a midsized commercial bank on a $130 million senior loan for the redevelopment of the former Hoffmann-La Roche campus in Nutley, New Jersey.
- Represented a midsized commercial bank on a $121 million mall construction and redevelopment in Florida.
- Represented a midsized commercial bank on a $45 million leverage loan on the $49 million refinancing of a newly constructed multi-family in New York City. The leverage loan originated with the mortgage loan.
- Represented one of the largest mutual life insurance companies in the world on a $125 million mortgage secured by a Washington, DC Class-A office building.
- Represented a global investment bank (and its equity partners) (i) in the sale of a shopping mall in California; and (ii) as Agent and Lenders in the seller financing of a senior mortgage facility to the purchaser of the asset.
- Represented a global investment bank on a $106 million construction mortgage loan in Tennessee.
- Represented a global investment bank on a $63 million acquisition loan for a Class-A office park in Arizona.
- Represented a private-equity firm on a $66 million loan for a single-family home portfolio in Georgia.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Lewis was recognized as a national leader in Real Estate law by Legal 500 US in 2019 and 2020. He was named one of Washington DC’s Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 by Legal Bisnow in 2016.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Lewis served as intern for the Hon. Maurice A. Ross of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.