The Arent Fox Communications, Mobile, and Technology practice is not shy about advocating for change in the policies, rules, and statutes that govern the telecommunications and high-tech industries. We have assisted service providers, content and application developers, Native American tribes, and trade associations in being heard by state regulatory commissions, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), state legislatures, and Congress. Our extensive experience in the evolution of the telecommunications and technology markets enables us to craft sensible, fair, and pro-competitive solutions to even the thorniest policy challenges.
Our attorneys routinely collaborate with the Arent Fox Government Relations practice, which includes two former US senators, a former US congressman, a former director of the Export-Import Bank of the United States, and several highly respected former staff members of the House, Senate, and Federal Election Commission. With a combined knowledge base that covers both the substance and the process of lawmaking, we have achieved significant victories for Arent Fox clients.
Representative matters include:
- FCC Open Internet Proceeding — We represented competitive carriers and a premier trade association in persuading the FCC to adopt rules that prohibit Internet access providers from engaging in predatory or discriminatory conduct.
- Policies and Rules Governing Intercarrier Compensation — We are persistent in protecting the rights of local service providers to be compensated when they assist incumbents in handling call and data traffic.
- Legislation Affecting the Inmate Telecommunications Industry — We work with the FCC, state regulators, and legislators to find appropriate ways to meet the unique challenges of providing telecommunications service in a correctional setting.
- Universal Service Reform — We have been at the forefront of the movement to create equitable mechanisms for Universal Service contributions and funding, and have long advocated the use of Universal Service funds for broadband service deployment.
- Broadband Initiatives on Tribal Lands — We have been a strong voice in Congress and at the FCC for Native American leaders who strive to obtain affordable and lasting broadband service on tribal lands.