Dave offers guidance concerning data security and developing, managing, acquiring, and defending intellectual property. He has worked with clients in diverse fields, including hospitality, consumer products, software and information technology, telecommunications, real estate, commodities exchange, beverage, product distribution, catalog sales, high-end retailing, airline, aircraft manufacturing, call center, mortgage finance, and automotive distribution.
Dave counsels clients confronted with issues concerning:
- Data security and intellectual property in transactions, including:
- Information technology agreements
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Due diligence
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Naming rights
- Product and service brand development, exploitation, and defense
- Trademark use and misuse on the web
- Copyright and trademark infringement claims and defenses
- Trade secret protection and misappropriation
- Alternative dispute resolution (he is a member of the International Trademark Association Trademark Mediators Network)
Examples of Dave’s representations of clients include the following:
- Dave has assisted in the development of a contract regime (primarily IP and data security) for a new initiative for a global commercial real estate company.
- He assisted a renowned think-tank assess the acquisition of a technological “solution” designed to enhance the client’s data security and enterprise defenses.
- He assisted a nonprofit patient-care management firm with developing a robust program for HIE (health information exchange) services for specialized patient groups.
- Dave assisted a hospital system with its electronic health record (EHR) technology contracting.
- A financial services outsourcing company engaged Dave as primary outside IP counsel to thwart an apparent phishing attack designed to harvest user names and passwords by a cybersquatter. Within hours, the site was taken down, and within days, the defendant was enjoined from engaging in further harmful conduct.
- That same financial services outsourcing company also turned to Dave to assist with all intellectual property aspects of a complicated international corporate reorganization effort.
- Dave has successfully resolved a dispute involving Open Source licensing issues for an international hardware developer, manufacturer, and distributor.